/*------------google map stuff---------------*/

Sunday, January 14, 2007

what's in a name...

so i was randomly reading something today and I came across the phrase "carte blanche" and while thinking that this would be a sweet name for my band (as soon as I figure out what music to make and other minor details) i also looked up the origins of the phrase. I found several interesting interpretations of the phrase's origin, the most accurate history seems to indicate it came from French military usage. The surrendering party gives the "blank/white card" which is, in essence, a blank page with the surrendering party commanding officer's signature at the bottom so that the the winning CO can put in his own terms for the surrender.

As a group name it has an intriguing backstory and just sounds slick. So nobody take it (either that or let me be part of the group). I figure that the first album could be called lettres des cachet ("sealed letters")taken from the open form arrest letters containing a carte blanche which could be used to secure a prisoner's freedom or to imprison someone (another level that plays on duality). These letters could be bought from the king, for a fee of course. The person in possesion of the letter could fill in the desired name. FYI for the history lesson, as I understand the policy that allowed for these letters was abolished in January of 1790.

Continuing on this tangent, I started reading a lot of the other phrases that were listed and learning a lot of random information that I am sure will come in handy soon.

No comments: